Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"Ooo, he smells my dog!"

I look at this rug every day. Being an artistic and creative bunch, we have examples of our work all over the office, plus some of these random and eclectic pieces.



I have no issues with artwork in the office space. It adds flare and breaks up the doldrums of work by having something aesthetically pleasing to compliment our interior design.

That being said, I'm an HR manager, and I see liability in everything. I see potential hazards, potential lawsuits, potential anythings in every action taken or not taken. It's the hazard of my profession.

So far, for the past two years, no one has said "boo" in regards to this rug. Actually, until last spring, I never really noticed the content of this rug, myself. Then all of a sudden, BAM! it hit me square between the eyes.



Ugh! Now, being an artist myself, I personally could care less of the subject of most pieces. There's really not too much that disgusts me or offends me. I may get a little embarrassed depending on the company I'm with, but life's life. Get over it. What gets my goat is when a piece of art is displayed in an area it really shouldn't, such as an unnutered dog's rear end in an office that produces text books for children.

Are we overcompensating for something? Maybe marking our territory? Hmmm.

Yankee Doodle Dandy,
-TYG

No comments:

Post a Comment